As everyone is fully aware we were greeted this spring with severe ice damage along the full shore line of club. The extend of the damage was such that, out of necessity, a shoreline restoration project was initiated over the sailing season. The overall project was divided into 3 phases:
- Initial site preparation. (completed by the club membership).
- Contracted excavation along the shoreline and the access area and replacement of the old metal ramp with a permanent interlocked brick mat boat launch pad.
- Final contracted project to reinforcement of the shoreline, re-establish vegetation and firm up the access area to the new boat launch.
We’ve been able to complete a lot already and the shoreline is looking great. We believe members will really appreciate the improved shoreline access, boat parking, and launch area. We’ve also increased the usable space up around the change rooms.
Financing the complete project has been a challenge and we’ve worked hard with a combination of volunteer time and careful planning with the contractor to run the project very lean. At this point though, we’ve exhausted club finances and still need to complete the third phase of the project as a high priority.
Given the financial situation of the club we are asking for donations to ideally finish off the complete project with minimal use of any debt financing. To facilitate donations we have successfully applied for charitable status and all donations to support the project can be used as a tax deduction.
Over the years Blackstrap Sailing Club has maintained extremely low membership fees. Given this background and our current circumstance we are asking the membership to step forward to support their club to finish the shoreline restoration project and advance our facilities for years to come.
Total project costs are $10,000 in excess of funds available in the BSSC account. If donations from existing club members were to average $300 we would be able to cover these costs without the need for further debt financing.
The project has been approved by Sask Sport Inc. which acts as the Saskatchewan branch of the National Sports Trust Fund. Donations to the National Sports Funds are recognized by Revenue Canada.
Donations can be made by one of the following options:
- On-line direct donation to the project by credit card through the Sask Sport website.
- On the left side of main page click “Capacity” then “Donations/Fundraising”.
- Under the National Sport Trust Fund click “To Donate”.
- Fill in the details of the donation.
- Under “Project” scroll down to 17:005 Blackstrap Sailing Club Improvement.
- Check by mail. All checks must be made out to National Sport Trust Fund. Please include the filled attached form. Mail the check and form directly to the Regina office of Sask Sport.
Sask Sport Inc., Regina Office, 1870 Lorne St., Regina, SK, S4P2L7
All donations are tax deductible and a tax receipt will be issued upon receiving the donation.
To paraphrase a great historical figure:
“Think not what your sailing club can do for you, but what you can do for your sailing club”.